OB/GYNs & Women's Health located in San Antonio, TX
At every stage of pregnancy, Dr. Patricia K. Brougher and nurse practitioner Laurita Old Hudec offer valuable and compassionate care. With so much on your mind during this busy time, the friendly team at Bluebonnet OB/GYN in San Antonio, Texas can organize and develop a customized plan to take some of the pressure off and let you focus on your growing family. From comprehensive testing to checkups in all trimesters, Bluebonnet has it covered. Call or schedule your first prenatal care appointment online.
Pregnancy Q & A
Please note that each and every patient and pregnancy are unique, different and special. Some items may vary depending upon your and your baby's needs.
FIRST TRIMESTER: CONCEPTION TO 14 WEEKS
- First Visit- We would like to see you when you are around 8 weeks pregnant. Expect this visit to take a little longer, there's lots of information to cover! At this visit, we will:
- Perform a confirmation pregnancy test.
- Perform an ultrasound for dating purposes. A heartbeat can usually be seen by the end of the first trimester.
- Perform blood work, usually, a complete OB panel with HIV test, depending upon your medical history, additional blood work may be done at this time.
- Perform a gynecological exam with pap smear and a complete physical examination.
- Discuss what to expect, do's and don'ts and different ways to best keep momma and baby healthy and happy!
- Additional First Trimester Visits- expect to have a visit every month during your first trimester. We recommend that you bring a list of questions to each visit so we can make sure we discuss any/all concerns you might have.
SECOND TRIMESTER: 14 WEEKS TO 28 WEEKS
- Visits continue once per month (unless otherwise specified)
- At around 18 weeks you will have another ultrasound to check on your baby's anatomy and gender (if you want to know).
- Towards the end of your second trimester, you will be sent for testing for gestational diabetes with a glucose tolerance test.
THIRD TRIMESTER: 28 WEEKS TO 40 WEEKS
- Your office visits will change to every two weeks until the last four weeks of your pregnancy; from then until you deliver, we will see you weekly.
- Between 28-32 is a good time to pre-register at the hospital. Speak with our office staff about what is needed to pre-register. The hospital will also have information about tours and birthing classes.
- Between 35-37 weeks we will do testing for GBS (group beta strep)
- We will start checking your cervix by internal examination for effacement (thinning) and dilation (opening), signs that your body is getting ready to go into labor.
- Around this time we recommend touring labor and delivery suites at the hospital to familiarize yourself with where your delivery will be taking place.
- By now you should also have a good idea of which pediatrician you will choose.
- We will see you after your delivery at about 2 weeks and about 5-6 weeks after your delivery.
- We will check your cervix, uterus, and vagina to see if they have returned back to your pre-pregnancy state.
- This is usually a good visit to discuss birth control options.
- Please bring a picture of your little one to share with the staff (and feel free to bring your baby too!)
For the highest standard of prenatal care, visit Bluebonnet OB/GYN. Call or schedule online.
What we offer